General Meeting Agenda
Tuesday, May 30, 7:00 p.m.
- Meeting Location: St Francis Xavier School, 763 President St., between Sixth and Seventh Aves.
- You must be a Food Coop member to attend the General Meeting. Please bring your Coop I.D. card to be admitted.
- Times in parentheses are suggestions. The Chair has the discretion to change the order of the agenda or the time allotted to each item.
I. Member Arrival and Meeting Warm-Up (7:00-7:15)
II. Open Forum (7:15-7:30)
III. Coordinator and Committee Reports (7:30-8:00)
IV. Meeting Agenda (8:00-9:30)
Item 1: Annual Revolving Loan Committee Election (25 minutes)
Election: Two current committee members will stand for re-election to three-year terms.—submitted by Revolving Loan Committee
Item 2: Creation of PSFC Labor Committee (50 minutes)
Proposal: We propose to create a permanent PSFC Labor Committee.
—submitted by Richard Mandelbaum, Nancy Romer, Eric Frumin
Mission: To systematize the way information on food workers’ struggles is received, keep the GM and leadership abreast of these efforts and ways in which the Coop might engage with them. The PSFC has a unique role in the world of food justice advocates. As a large-scale purchaser of many food products, the Coop has clout and can support ongoing food worker organizing efforts where the Coop sees fit.
Goals: We would:
- Support established food worker organizations that organize food workers and document workers’ rights efforts. We would not ourselves organize food workers.
- Keep in on-going communication with food worker organizing efforts and find out how and if we can be supportive.
- Prepare reports for the Linewaiters’ Gazette and GMs on a regular basis, and at least annually.
- Follow existing Coop principles and practices
- Consult with the buyers of specific categories of foods in order to keep informed and understand the Coop’s relationship with various companies and providers.
How The Committee Would Function:
- Would set an upper limit of seven (7) members who would participate regularly as their work slot and on rare occasions, with the approval of the GC or GCs that serve as liaison to the committee, work credit may be available to other Coop members on a “member time” basis”. We would work with non-Coop members as concerns arise requiring information and coordination.
- Voting and decision-making in the committee would be limited to the seven (7) regular members with consultation from the GCs and additional Labor Committee participants.
- The Committee will have a rotating Chair and rotating Secretary.
- We will use majority rule for decision-making with a quorum of 5.
- We will publish a notice in the Gazette asking interested members to apply to join the committee; we will accept up to 7 members with work slot credit. We will emphasize the importance of racial, ethnic and gender diversity.
- Similar Gazette notices will also be used to fill any subsequent vacancies.
- We will reach out to members who have already worked with food worker support who are on our existing outreach lists and invite them to apply
- Members will be initially selected by the three founding members of the group, Richard Mandelbaum, Eric Frumin and Nancy Romer. Please note that Frumin and Romer, both retired from Coop work requirements, will sit on the committee without requiring workslot credit. Decisions about filling future vacancies will be made by a majority vote of the remaining Committee members.
- Committee meetings will take place at the Coop and announced in the Gazette and on the website if at all possible. Non-members of the committee will be welcome to attend.
- Minutes of all meetings will be kept via a rotating secretary and posted on the Coop
Item 3: Establish Baseline Annual Budget for TerraCycle Plastic Collection (15 minutes)
Proposal: Establish a baseline annual budget of $5000 to continue an ongoing TerraCycle Fee-Based, Zero Waste Plastic Film collection, with a caveat of up to an additional $1500 in bridge money as approved by the General Coordinators dependent on growth of the collection. Any permanent increase in the yearly budget will be taken up with the membership.—submitted by Jen Shamro
V. Board of Directors Meeting (9:30)
VI. Wrap-Up (9:30-9:45)
Includes member sign-in for workslot credit.