Sign-UP for VOLUNTARY Member-Labor Work Shifts
The Coop continues to expand the number and types of work shifts available for the phased-in resumption of voluntary member labor system. Member participation through work is the foundation of our Coop’s unique member participatory model, and your voluntary participation is a crucial step on the road back to full financial health. We welcome back our working members and thank you for your continued support of and dedication to your Coop.
For more information on the details of the work shifts and how to sign-up please read on.
Voluntary member labor has started on a small scale and in these initial phases involves the following types of work shifts:
- Early morning truck unloading outside – Work outside with Coop staff unloading delivery trucks, breaking down pallets of groceries, smashing cardboard with the bailer, and other fun early morning tasks.
- Cart return and sidewalk maintenance – Walk members with the groceries to their home or subway within the Coop’s walking zone, assist members loading their groceries into cars at the curbs, keep the sidewalk clear of debris and attend to other outside tasks.
- Case Maintenance – Work on Sunday evenings at night after shoppers and the majority of workers have left the store to help us maintain our cold cases. Members working this shift may shop before the 8:30 PM shift and store their purchases (including refrigerated and frozen items) in the Coop for the duration of the shift.
- Inventory – Work on Sunday evenings at night after shoppers and the majority of workers have left the building. This shift counts the unsold product to ensure that our inventory is accurate. Members working this shift may shop before the 8:30 PM shift and store their purchases (including refrigerated and frozen items) in the Coop for the duration of the shift.
- Stocking – Stock product in the evenings to help the Coop get ready to serve the next morning’s shopping members. Workers on this shift will be asked to stock in the following areas: dry goods shelves, bulk bins, refrigerated and frozen cases, and the walk-in dairy cooler. Attention to detail required as perishables must be rotated according to date. This shift will require bending down and reaching to the back of shelves. Member may also do light to moderate lifting. If time allows, members may be asked to flatten cardboard boxes, use the cardboard baler, and do other tasks to prepare the store for the following day’s early morning operations. Members working this shift may shop before the 8:30 PM shift and store their purchases (including refrigerated and frozen items) in the Coop for the duration of the shift.
Working a shift is VOLUNTARY, and you will be required to sign-up for every shift you work. Members will earn one FTOP credit for each shift worked that can be used once the Coop has resumed our member-labor work slot requirement. All members may continue to shop regardless of participation in these voluntary shifts. The Coop’s member work slot requirement remains suspended at this time.
How to Sign-up for Work Shifts:
- Login to your member services account. https://foodcoop.com/services
Don’t have a member services account? Follow the link above to sign-up.
- Read, initial, and submit TWO important documents: Member-worker COVID-19 Policies Agreement and Workslot Policies Agreement. Please take your time to read both agreements in full so that you completely understand the expectations and responsibilities of working a shift at the Coop. Both documents must be submitted BEFORE you can sign-up for a shift.
Go to “Virtual Office”, click on “Agreements” to view and submit both agreements.
- To see available shifts: Click on “Virtual Office” and select “Shift Calendar”. Available shifts will appear on the calendar. Click on the shift you want to work to continue to sign-up and finalize your shift.
- You must sign-up for an available shift in the Shift Calendar to work. We are NOT allowing walk-ins or make-ups at this time.
Daily Health Screening Questionnaire:
On each day you have a scheduled shift, you will receive a text or email notification with a link to the Coop’s Daily Health Screening Questionnaire. The screening questionnaire needs to be completed prior to coming to the Coop for your work shift. This is a required step to work a shift at the Coop and we will not be making any exceptions for members who do not complete the screening questionnaire. We thank you in advance for your cooperation in helping us keep the Coop safe for all member-workers, shoppers, and paid staff.
Further Phase-in of Voluntary Member Labor
Over the next several weeks more types of work shifts will be coming online. Don’t be discouraged if you are unable to sign-up for a shift now or there is not an available shift for you to work. As the phase-in of member-labor continues, the Coop will need more members to work in different areas of the Coop’s operations. Please keep returning to the Shift Calendar in Member Services to view open work shifts.
Go to Member Services now to get started!